Thursday, March 03, 2011

The Red Skull

Entertainment Weekly has a new photo up of Hugo Weaving as The Red Skull in the up-coming movie Captain America-The First Avenger. Here it is-

Captain-america-red-skull_510
Pretty impressive. I'm always disappointed in the superhero movies I;ve seen, but I have to admit from what little I know about this one, it looks good. On the other hand, I said the same thing about The Dark Knight and Iron Man, and in both cases I was greatly underwhelmed (notwithstanding Heath Ledger's brilliant portrayal of The Joker in The Dark Knight).

The Red Skull is the penultimate Marvel bad guy. Where Stever Rogers was transformed by the super soldier serum into a representative of all that was great about America, Johann Schmidt was transformed into the living symbol of Nazi Germany.

In other words, evil incarnate. Sort of like a Democrat, but more stylish.