Monday, December 24, 2007

Shall We Prey?

I don't know how much of this is overblown, but it could definitely be a growing problem if it isn't addressed. What might be tolerated or even tacitly encouraged on the grounds of military cohesiveness might well turn out being a divisive issue within military ranks.

In fact, a good deal of this might well be considered subversive. For example, take the passage from this web-site, which states in part-

"Fort Jackson "God's Basic Training" -- These Bible studies for basic trainees teach the recruits the "when you join the military, you've really joined the ministry." The rationale is that governments are ordained by God, so all government employees are really God's ministers."

Moreover, in a recent interview, one Air Force official stated the ministry has a right to evangelize amongst those in the military who are "lost" or "unchurched". He states that there is a distinction between evangelism, which he describes as gently sharing God's word, and proselytizing, which he says is far more aggressive.

Well, I don't know about all that, but I do know that if I were a Mormon recruit, for example, I don't know that I would feel complete confidence if my life was in danger were I surrounded by people that had previously made statements to the effect that my religion was "wicked" or "satanic".

Like I said in an earlier post on this subject, people going into the military have a right to practice the religion of their choice, and outlets for the expressions of their faith should be readily available for them, along with whatever other services such faiths might provide-the caveat being the service people should seek them out themselves, not themselves be sought out. This is true as well, however, of adherents of all faiths within the military. There should never be a no man's land within the military where no religion may reside. However, there has to be a line drawn somewhere.