Friday, December 14, 2007

Death Of An Accidental Daddy

In 1952, Ike Turner entered a studio and, with his band, recorded the song "Rocket 88". The guitar amplifier tipped over, resulting in the first feedback sound distortion in recorded history. Rocket 88 is now considered by many the first rock and roll song, and Ike Turner is credited by many as being it's inventor (an honor also bestowed on Johnny Ace).

Ike Turner's private life was tumultuous, and probably had an effect on his creative output. He served time in prison for weapons and drug possession, but nevertheless will always be remembered for his musical career, especially for his discovery of future wife (though he later alleged they never actually married) Tina Turner.

The biggest hit for The Ike And Tina Turner Revue, as they and their band were called, was "Proud Mary", previously a Creedence Clearwater Revival hit, and which Ike and Tina took to number three on the American pop charts.

After a stint in prison, during which both he and Tina were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (she accepting his award on his behalf), Ike returned to music, and released several recordings, in the meantime winning an award for Best Comeback Artist and Best Blues Recording.

If any would like to leave a message of condolences for his passing to the family and friends of Ike Turner you can do so here

Some have apparently used the site as an excuse to vent their anger over Ike's alleged rough treatment of Tina, and such comments have been and will be deleted, understandably so. Come on, people, grow up.

Not to excuse any kind of abuse, but no one really knows the whole story. And, to paraphrase here Ike's own words-

"I may have slapped Tina, and I knocked her down here and there, but I never beat her."

No, I am not trying to be funny. Shit happens.

Ike Turner died at the age of 76. Though a cause of death is yet to be released, he is said to have suffered from emphysema. His web-site suggests that in lieu of flowers, to send a donation to your local school's music department.


4 comments:

Frank Partisan said...

Very nice tribute.

Rufus said...

The Ike and Tina records are just incredible. I remember listening to one in which she hits this note and you can hear the needle going into the red. It's amazing. You could bring your kids through puberty in a day just by playing them those records.

sonia said...

"I may have slapped Tina, and I knocked her down here and there, but I never beat her."

Amazing statement, simultaneously admitting and denying the truth...

The film was great, btw. Laurence Fishburne became a star after playing Ike.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Ren-Thanks

Rufus-Yeah, they were both great together. Tina not so much by herself. I would love to run across some of those old recordings of theirs, especially some of Ike's very earliest recordings. I bet they would be worth a mint now if you could find some in decent shape.

Hell, I would just like to have them to listen to, but I don't have an LP player. His earliest stuff would probably be on those old 38's.

Sonia-I think it sounded different than the way he meant it. He was admitting to the physical abuse, but at the same time he was saying he didn't just continually beat her after he hit her. Not to defend him, but there is a difference, and I'm sure it wasn't as one-sided as people generally make it out to be.

I didn't know Fishburne played Ike. I bet he was good, too, as he's a fine actor. I remember one film where he played a black gangster back in the days of Dutch Schultz, but I don't remember the name of it. I think it was based on a true story though.