Monday, August 06, 2007

Tampons-Stop The Bleeding?

Okay, I don't know how much truth there is to this story. It is just something I got in my e-mail a couple of days ago, one of those chain letter things that make the rounds, usually with a threat of bad luck if you fail to forward it within a specified period of time, but likewise with an assurance of great good fortune if you do so.

There was no such promise or threat attached to this, just a request to forward this story about how tampons sent to a Marine stationed in Iraq inadvertently saved the life of an injured Marine.

Apparently, the guy was shot, and though it was a clean wound, with the bullet exiting the body, he bled profusely. He stuck a tampon in the wound, it expanded, and soaked up a lot of the blood and evidently prevented him from bleeding to death.

I thought it was worth telling the story here, though I have my doubts as to the truth of it. How many Marines are likely to carry tampons with them on a mission? Yet, apparently, the Marine did this, and just happened to think of using the tampon on the spur of the moment.

If there is a smidgen of truth to it, since people do like to send soldiers gift bags of personal items, things like shaving lotion, deodorant, toothpaste, etc., in addition to other items, this will be of interest. If you are in the habit of donating such items to soldiers, or if you know someone in the military, you might want to consider this, but by all means check up on it first.

Another thing soldiers use in Iraq while on patrol (and I know this for a fact) is silly string, which reveals the presence of trip wires that set off hidden explosives when someone stumbles blindly into them. They are impossible to see with the naked eye, but silly string reveals their presence and position by clinging to the wires in such a way as not to trip them.

So, if you want to send a loved one stationed in Iraq something they can use, in addition to the various sundry items you might usually think to send, you might definitely want to include silly string, as well as tampons.

Like I said though, check first. Like I said, I don't know if this story is valid or not, but I copied it from my e-mails, and it follows below.





MARINES AND TAMPONS (A GREAT STORY)

Tampons to the rescue in Iraq!! Don't worry, it's a good story, and worth
reading. It's even humorous in parts. It's from the mother of a Marine in
Iraq.

My son told me how wonderful the care packages we had sent them were and
wanted me to tell everyone thank you. He said that one guy we call
Marine X, got a girl care package and everyone was giving him a hard time.
My son said, "Marine X got some really nice smelling lotion and everyone
really likes it, so every time he goes to sleep they steal it from him."

I
told my son I was really sorry about the mistake, and if he wanted I
would send Marine X another package. He told me not to worry about
Marine X because every time I send something to him, Marine X thinks
it's for him too.
He said when my husband and I sent the last care package, Marine X came
over to his cot picked up the box, started fishing through it, and said,
"What'd we get this time?"
My son said they had the most fun with Marine X's package. He said he
wasn't sure who we were sending the pack to, but the panties were size 20,
and he said one of the guys got on top of the Humvee and jumped off with
the panties over his head and yelled "Look at me, I'm an Airborne
Ranger!!!!" One of the guys attached the panties to an antenna and it blew
in the wind like a wind soak. He said it entertained them for quite awhile.

Then of course.......they had those tampons.
When he brought this up, my imagination just went running, but he
continued. My son said they had to go on a mission and Marine X wanted the
Chap-Stick and lotion for the trip. He grabbed a bunch of the items from
his care package and got in the Humvee. As luck would have it he grabbed
the tampons too, and my son said everyone was teasing him about "not
forgetting his feminine hygiene products."
He said things went well for a while, then the convoy was ambushed and
Marine was shot. He said the wound was pretty clean, but it was deep. He
said they were administering first aid but couldn't get the bleeding to
slow down, and someone said, "Hey! Use Marine X's tampons!" My son said
they put the tampon in the wound. At this point my son profoundly told Me,
Mom, did you know
that tampons expand?" ("Well....yeah!")

They successfully slowed the bleeding until the guy got better medical
attention. When they went to check on him later The surgeon told them, "tou
guys saved his life. If you hadn't stopped that bleeding he would have bled
to death." My Son said, "Mom, the tampons sent by the Marine Moms by
mistake saved a Marine's life."

At this point I asked him, "Well, what did you do with the rest of the
tampons?"
He said, "Oh, we divided them up and we have them in our flak jackets,
and I kept two for our first aid kit."

I am absolutely amazed by the ingenuity of our Marines. I can't believe
that something that started out as a mistake then turned into a joke, ended
up saving someone's life My sister said she doesn't believe
in mistakes. She believes God has a plan all along. She believes that
"female care package" was sent to Marine X to save our Marine.
Either
way, our efforts have boosted the morale of many Marines, provided
much needed items for our troops, AND saved the life of a Marine! God bless
every one of you for your efforts and hard work, and God bless our Marines,
Army, Navy, Air Force and all our military service personnel.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND KEEP IT SAFE!
I'm not breaking this one. If I get it a 1000 times, I'll forward it a 1000 times!

Let us pray... Prayer chain for our Military... Don't brake it!
Please send this on after a short prayer. Prayer for our soldiers Don't
break it!

Prayer:

"Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect
us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in

our time of need. Amen."



2 comments:

Tom Accuosti said...

Why do I have the feeling that this is going to show up in Snopes.com later on this week?

(It's not there now, I checked)

SecondComingOfBast said...

Yeah, I kind of think it might be phony too, just one of those things somebody made up as an excuse to forward a prayer chain letter to "support the troops".

That's true about the silly string though, I saw that on Sixty Minutes, they even showed on film an example of a time it worked.