Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Sweet Caroline

Barak Obama has a big following on the social networking site Facebook-aiming for a milion members, in fact, of his Profile and group page Barack Obama (one million strong for Barack).

One of those members at one time was Caroline Giuliani, daughter of former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani and current Republican presidential aspirant.

She has since removed herself from membership in the group, according to this report, after she was questioned by the on-line magazine Slate.

Though she has removed her profile, a screen shot was saved by Slate, where she describes herself as having liberal political views.

Barack, in response to this news, has expressed the opinion that this was "very nice" and "I can't wait to meet her."

Rudy didn't have much to say, other than he loves his daughter, and would prefer to respect her privacy.

Rudy is well on his way to the White House. He has shown he has one of the most important historical qualifications. A parent, spouse, child, or sibling that is a complete screw-up.

2 comments:

Rufus said...

I don't really see how that makes her 'a complete screw up'. He's been kind of a prick to his family, hasn't he? Actually, everyone I know in NYC whose ever dealt with Guiliani thinks he's a prick. I don't really think that makes any difference when it comes to voting for the guy or not. But it could well say more about him than it does about her. Also, seriously, who the fuck goes to his daughter's High School graduation and doesn't talk to her?

I used to have a buddy in the Secret Service back when I lived outside DC, and I asked him once what he thought about the people in the White House. His response was something like "I like Bill Clinton a lot. He's a really nice guy to us. Well, unless his wife's around, and then he keeps his mouth shut. I like Hilary though. And I don't want this to affect your voting any, but Al Gore is probably the biggest asshole I've ever met." I don't know if that was part of the reason that I didn't vote for Gore, but I definitely didn't think 'Well, gee whiz, he should really like his boss more.'

Besides, she looks a lot better in a dress than her father does, so that's another reason to take her side.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Wouldn't you like to have been a fly on the wall though, hearing what Rudy really said to her in private? I know it's not really that bad, but there are plenty of people that will make a big deal out of it.

It's not often a child of one Presidential candidate becomes affiliated in some way with the campaign of another candidate. I'm surprised somebody hasn't accused her of trying to spy on Obama's campaign. If it was anything more involved than a Facebook Group somebody would have by now.

If Rudy does win, then she will actually be a member of an elite tradition-the corps of Presidential family screw-ups. It seems like they all have at least one in their family.

I'm not sure, but it seems I heard somewhere Rudy stayed in the background at her graduation because he didn't want to draw attention away from her and the class. So of course it became an issue with the pundits, who put it front and center.

He certainly does have his family issues though. If he had planned at the time on running for President, he probably never would have divorced his first wife, let alone his second one, and he would never have appeared in that dress. You will see a lot of that when the Republican primaries kick in.