Thursday, January 04, 2007

An Esbat Vision

I had a hell of a dream last night, almost immediately upon dropping off to sleep, one that was so disturbing it woke me right up. After five or ten minutes, I knew what I had to do. I had to pull myself up out of bed and write down the word I heard utterred, because I knew otherwise I would completely forget it by the time I woke up today. So, I dragged myself up out of bed, found a notebood, and wrote down the word-
 
NOMACHUKAH
 
Yeah, I've never heard of it either. But the dream image that I heard utter the word was an African.He appearred to me, looking like a fierce warrior, or chieftain, or maybe what we all used to euphemistically call "witch doctor". And when I sayfierce, believe me I do not exaggerate. It was almost as though he wanted to make sure I heard and understood the word, as it seemed to reverberate in my head. So sure was I of what I heard, I was equally sure of the spelling.
 
As for what it is, if it is a real word, and from a real African dialect, I have no clue which it is, only that it seems to, if it is real, have it's origins somewhere in the area of Central to South Central to East Central Africa. Yes, I know, that's a pretty wide swath of territory, and home to no telling how many lanquages and dialects, absolutely none of which I am the slightest bit familiar with.
 
Today, of course, I determined to ascertain the maning fo the word, if there is one, and could not find anything more than remotely similar, until I broke the word down into it's two major parts.
 
NOMA-Is a disease that is brought on by malnutrition in the very young. There seems to be no cure for it, nor is it clear what actually causes it, though it is believed to be caused by bacteria that attack through the weakened immune system well after the onset of malnutrition. It causes the destruction of the flesh and tissues of the face, causing it to literally be eaten away, much like the ebola virus, only in the vast majorty of cases, this seems to concentrate on the face of the very young. In some rare cases, however, it attacks the genitals.
 
Yes, it is African, in the vast majority of cases, though there have also been cases reported in Asia, and in South America.
 
CHUKAH-Not African, but seems to be some kind of Jewish word (either Hebrew of Yiddish, though I'm not sure which) that means –"constitution".
 
Last night, before going to bed, I observed the Full Moon Esbat,. so this dream may or may not be related to that in some way. What it means, I have no clue. I'm not really sure I want to know.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

1 comment:

SecondComingOfBast said...

Danielle-You have to be careful doing that, though, cus if you're not careful you can invent correlations where non exist.