Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Tea And Cookies

No more Yahoo Groups. No more questionable web-sites. In fact, very few web sites. Period. When it gets to the point you can't even trust the New York Times, you know the world is spinning out of control. So, what exactly am I talking about? I'm talking, of course, about spy-ware. Those little malicous and certainly not so sweet things called tracking cookies that enter your system, ostensibly for the purpose of tracking your internet browsing, at times merely to iform the site of the number of browsers they have attacted, at other times for more nefarious purposes, liketo send you ads and pop-ups.

Over the last week, I disabled at least thirty of these pesky critters, and incidentally also disavbled the cookies for this site. For a bief time, therefore, I had a problem logging onto Blogger. But now, just for now, the problemis solved. It would help if Blogger were to identify the name of their tracking cookies so a peson could know what not to delete, should they be detected by such agencies as MacAffee, and others whose sole purpose for existence is the disabling of cookies, worms, viruses, and trojans.

Frankly, if I had to do without Blogging, it would be well worth it, if it meant peace of mind. And who the hell needs Yahoo anyway. A clue-nothing in this world is free, and that damned sure includes free e-mail. And so, from now on, anytime I am in contact with my Yahoo Groups, even the one I own, Paganbitchslap, and the other I moderate, which is Voting Pagans, well, it's just going to have to be through this Blog. If they want to bitch and moan or otherwise give me some hell, they'll just have to come on this Blog and post their comments here.

Like I told someone else, I've become the Howard Hughes of computer viruses. For good reason. So I might as well tell you now, in case you haven't all ready learned it. If you ever get a sudden pop-up purporting to be from Microsoft, and it tells you that as the result of an error, your Windows willbe shutting down, and you may as a result lose your work, approachwith caution. Do not click on any of the links in this message, as it is probably not actually from Microsoft, though it certainly looks like a legitimate Microsoft message. More than likely, it is a forgery, a worm known as the Sasser worm. Here is what you should do if you receive this message.

Go to your control panel, click on Start, and then Run
Type in CMD, press Enter
A window should appear, in which you should type Shutdown A, then press Enter

This should prevent the infection, or eliminate it. However, if you have Windows, you should install every update Microsoft makes availiable, and do everything you can to prevetn this scourge. Some programs take a long time to download, and rventhough it isn't really necessary, I can'thelp but watch the downloading process. A bit like watching grass grow, or snow melt. Or, if you're not like me (obsessive) you can simply minimize the window and go on about your business. Me, I just can'thlp myself, so I simply brew a strong cup (or two or three) of hot tea, have a cigarrette (or three, or four), and just sit back, and watch. And watch. And watch.

And count my blessings. After all, if these hackers were really all that smart, they would be able to come up with a way to get into your system that wouldn't slow you down, wouldn't crasdh your system, and more improtantly, in a way in which they couldn't be detected. A way in which you wouldn't even know they are around.

But, of course, they are around. So be aware.

3 comments:

Korvakarvat said...

Wonder if we've talked on yahoo, ever.

SecondComingOfBast said...

I guess it's possible. My Yahoo name is Dancing Crow 3, with everything all run together, and of course @ Yahoo . com. (I'm seperating everything because I've noticed that on a lot ofthese sites ISP ID's and addresses tend to be edited out for some reason.

By the way, why did you remove your picture?

Korvakarvat said...

Cus I posted a new one.