Saturday, December 04, 2010

If I Had A Hammer Factory

Even if I qualified as a small business, I would not want taxes raised on big businesses. Altruism has nothing to do with it. It's all about self-interest. As a small business owner, I am going to be dependent on the health and vitality of big business, somewhere down the line. If their taxes are increased, on top of their already burdensome regulatory requirements, they are going to pass that cost on to me. So I'm going to have to pay more for the equipment and supplies I depend on them for.

What to do? Well, I can find a cheaper supplier, probably from overseas, maybe or maybe not an American manufacturer who has relocated to China or some other foreign country, or it could be a business which is wholly owned by foreign entities. I won't care one way or another. All I care about is getting my parts as cheaply and still of as high quality as I can.

I can also refrain from hiring new employees. If things get too bad, I might even lay off one or two. Or maybe more. Let's face it, in this economy what workers I retain will gladly work overtime if needed, and even at time and a half it is cheaper for me to go that route than it would be to hire new people, with all the expense of training, new paperwork to file, other federal obligations to pay out for each new employee, etc.

Or, I can simply raise the price of my products, which means I am probably going to lose some customers, or in some cases where I retain some customers, I very well could cause other businesses to lose those customers patronage. If my services are considered more vital for some than dining out, or seeing a movie, or buying new clothes or household furnishings, sporting goods, etc., then those businesses in turn will have to make the same kinds of adjustments I will be making due to losing other customers who can, quite frankly, do without my services if necessary.

Or, if I want to be a nice guy, I can continue business as usual, and for all my trouble I can lose my shirt, which means all my employees lose their jobs.

Or, I can take less of my profits for my own personal salary, but that will probably not be enough to turn things around on its own, so I'd still need to make one or more of these other adjustments. In the meantime, I would have to plan on sending my kids to public school instead of the decent private school I've been shelling out the bucks for so they can have a decent, real education that involves actual learning as opposed to teacher's union approved leftist brainwashing. I have to trade my new car in for a used one for the cheaper insurance and property taxes. I might even have to sell my house and move to a cheaper house, or apartment, in a cheaper neighborhood for the same reason. I have to eat in all the time, and sparingly, and as cheaply as possible. Instead of The Gap, I buy my clothes at Goodwill and hope for the best.

But, I think I'll pass on all that, as I didn't go to school and work my ass off, save money, take out business loans which I'm still paying on and invest in a dream with no real assurance of success so I could live no better than my employees while working my ass off every day to make sure my business is solvent. Bottom line-in other words, fuck you that's not happening. Nothing against my employees, who would hopefully also live a pretty decent life on what I would be able to pay them, but let's face it, I'm their boss and if I don't have the chance to live in comfort and prosperity and give my family a top shelf life-yes, better than what I can afford to pay them-what am I wasting my time for? After all, I'm the one who was taking the risk in starting the business to begin with.

Now I'm being told taxes should be raised on "the rich", but "hey, don't worry, that won't affect you".

I think that's pretty much the equivalent of somebody pissing in your face and telling you its raining. This is an interconnected economy, and the negative impact of taxes and regulations on "big business" doesn't happen in a vacuum.