Monday, March 16, 2009

RIP Ron Silver

I'm saddened to hear of the death of actor Ron Silver. This was a guy who proved you don't necessarily have to be an utter brain dead fucking moron in order to be a liberal, and if that wasn't enough, he even proved that, as highly unlikely as it might seem, you don't even have to be a brain dead fucking moron to be a liberal Hollywood activist. Yep, Silver was as liberal as they ever came. Despite this, he appeared at the Republican convention in 2004, where he announced that he was a "9/11 Republican". Declaring that he could always work on his pet issues at any time, he went on to say regarding the War On Terror that, to paraphrase, "if we don't get this right, nothing else will matter."

Whether he was right or wrong about his stance is not even the point. The point is, he stood out as a liberal true believer who proved beyond all doubt that it is possible to put aside ones preconceived notions and prejudices and think independently, right or wrong. We don't have to follow the herd and jump through hoops at the command of our would-be lords and masters.

He also proved that there is a great deal of merit to the charge that Hollywood is so unfairly dominated by liberal politics, by asserting that even he, a multi-award winning and nominated actor, with numerous Emmy's and Tony's to his credit, lost some work due to his recent political stance. Yet, he soldiered on, determined not to have his voice shut out of the debate, until he finally succumbed this last Sunday to esophageal cancer-something which I am certain a great many liberal turds will take a great deal of delight in.

If I were a believer in the literal existence of the gods and goddesses, I would be tempted to believe they took him up to be with them. He was just too unique to stay in this fucked up world.

I think I might actually light a candle for him tonight.

7 comments:

Frank Partisan said...

What work did he lose?

He was connected to Foreign Affairs Magazine, an important theoretical magazine of the enlightened ruling class.

I thought he had democratic instincts. He didn't need to support US imperialism to oppose Islamism.

SecondComingOfBast said...

He saw the way the left was going after Bush, and how the Democrats were either supporting their efforts or undermining Bush in other ways, and realized that the Democratic Party was not to be trusted on this issue. And in my opinion he was right.

He never said what work he lost, and for all I know, he might have been overreacting to some rift that had developed in his professional relationships over his stance. I kind of doubt that though. Human nature being what it is, I almost guarantee you he was passed over at least a time or two by some of his prick cohorts that thought it might make him "come to his senses" or that he would "get the message", or whatever.

It's too bad that politics turns people into such fucking assholes, but I guess that's just the way it is.

Frank Partisan said...

A close reading of my blog, would show I'm less hard on neoconservatives than most on the left. I don't agree with them, but I learned from them in a way.

I liked their calls for democracy.

SecondComingOfBast said...

I wasn't throwing off on you, Ren, or anybody like you. I don't even see you as a liberal. I've grown so disgusted at the Democratic Party over the last two years especially it's all I can do to see them as human beings. I'm actually not a big fan of the Neocons either, to put it lightly. They actually for the most part used to be liberal democrats, as strange as that might sound.

Nor would I necessarily agree with Ron Silver's views on most things. In fact, I would oppose him fiercely on a good many issues. I just admire anybody who is willing to tell their fellow liberals (or conservatives) "hey, you know, you might not like this, but I think you're wrong on this issue and I'm going to oppose you."

You don't see that very often. It is sadly far too rare.

Frank Partisan said...

He had instincts I admired, and learned from.

Frank Partisan said...

I saw The Watchmen last night. Now I have to go back and reread your post.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Cool, you should review it on your blog.