Saturday, March 21, 2009

Hey I Got Something Here You Just Got To Read

Some good news for Kentucky's recent economic woes is the recent report that a deal is in the works to try to attract movie production companies to the Bluegrass State by way of tax and other incentives. Now that might well qualify as a harbinger of good things to come to coincide with the advent of spring. Who knows where it will lead? Maybe they'll do a movie in Kentucky, about Kentucky, and I might try out for the part of the conservative Republican who's always bitching and going on about family values. Or maybe instead I might get the role of the Blue Dog Democrat who decides to lower the ol' tax boom on smokers and the tobacco industry after his party, including his politically entrenched family, has spent decades helping the tobacco industry make Kentuckians-and Americans-addicted to tobacco products. Or maybe I'll even get to play the role of one of these newfangled liberal Democrats who will probably ruin the whole damn thing by thinking Kentucky should be able to tax the movie industry just a half a percentage point less than California. Or maybe I'll just play the role of one of the many local yokels you won't be able to stand to be around once they get a glimpse of some second-rate starlet smiling in his or her general direction.

I think I might be cut out for the industry, as I have all kinds of great ideas. Since it has recently been announced that the go-ahead and planning for the sequel to the Iron Man movie is now in the works, I'll just give my take on that.

Scarlet Johannson has been tapped to play the role of Natasha, the Black Widow, originally a villainous Soviet era spy, who later deserted the Soviet Union, reformed, and became a heroine.

Johannson's pick has caused grea consternation among comic book movie enthusiasts, and I see their point. Johannson is not Russian, and there are plenty of Russians who could play the role, depending of course on availability. Many seem to think that Scarlet's pick for the role was a simple matter of "T&A consideration, and that the actress is really not cut out for the role. Some have even suggested she will probably learn her Russian accent from the character of Natasha in the old Bullwinkle cartoons. Personally, I'm inclined to believe she could handle the role, but at the same time, I see their point. Why not pick a qualified Russian actress?

My pick-Olga Kurylenko, who played the obligatory Bond girl in Quantum Of Solace. According to Sonia Belle, she was accused by a Russian communist group of treason for her part in that film. Of course, these are the same nuts who want the Russian government to put up statues of the various women in Vladimir Lenin's life. Were Marvel to tap Kurylenko for the part, it just seems that it would be fitting and proper, and I am sure she could do the role justice.

And with this post, I think I've figured out the perfect role for me if that movie industry ever does make it to Kentucky. I'll play the geek carrying a manuscript everybody runs away from.

1 comment:

sonia said...

Johannson is not Russian.

Yes, she is half-Polish, which is way better.