Saturday, July 19, 2008

Welcome To America

I'm betting there aren't very many countries in the world that conduct yearly mass swearings-in of newly naturalized citizens who have immigrated from foreign countries. I would say they are a relative handful, limited to the US, Canada, Australia, and maybe a few places in Europe. Most of the places in Europe probably amount to transported immigrant Muslims who aren't so much attracted by the appeal of Europe so much as a chance to either work and live in peace, or to escape criminal prosecution and in some cases oppression, and maybe in the meantime to carry on with their lives exactly as they would if not forced to leave their homelands for whatever reason, thank you very much. I seriously doubt that very many of them are that taken with European culture and democracy.

Supposedly, most of the people that come to the US see us as a shining beacon of liberty, and hope to become a part of the American dream, while understandably hoping to retain their unique cultural heritage at the same time, not separate from the rest of us, but as a vital and interdependent part of that whole.

Well, the most recent batch of new citizens sworn in by President Bush at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello this last Fourth of July got a taste of the American dream they probably hadn't counted on when protesters from the group Code Pink interrupted the proceedings and heckled Bush throughout his address, repeatedly saying "Fuck you, Bush".

Who was the coordinator of this effort? Read the following, courtesy of Lee from Digital Nicotine-

a bunch of supposed adults kept yelling "Fuck you, Bush! Fuck you Bush!" among a bunch of people expecting to celebrate newly-gained citizenship. One of these supposed adults was the press secretary to Rep. Dennis Kucinich in his latest run for the presidency.

I couldn't believe it myself, so I followed the link provided to here, and sure enough, there it was. Yet, these same people seem amazed they are the only ones that seem to know what a great guy Dennis Kucinich is.

That is actually the good point to this story, the fact that the loony left, typified by the people responsible for this sorry excuse for a "protest", really don't have that much influence with the American people, and not really as much as one might assume they do with the Democratic Party either. If they did, the Little Smurf From Cleveland would have done much better in the primaries, wouldn't he?

They just make a lot of noise, disgust the hell out of decent people, and provide fodder for the enemies of the Democratic Party, who unfortunately don't seem to have the guts to actually tell them to get lost. Instead of doing so, even Obama kisses up to them up to a point.

I would dearly love to see them go over to Egypt and try this with Hosni Mubarek.

Really, what was the point of the protest? We get it, they are against the Iraq War-mainly because it is a "Republican war", in my opinion. Frankly, the Iraq War has turned into just another hot button issue like abortion and gay rights to me. If I do vote, those issues will not inform my decision one way or another, neither for nor against.

That's my own protest against these damn nuts. It's my way of telling them "I don't care enough about (insert controversy of the day here) to vote your way. Leave me alone."

Really, these people have no common decency. I used to not like Bush at all, but I like him and Cheney both just a little bit more every year. In fact, if they could run for re-election this year, and did, I might well vote for them, just because of these people.

Why should newly sworn-in citizens have to be subjected to this crap? It boggles the mind that these fools even think they are influencing anybody. What is the use of protesting if all you do is turn people against you? I have yet to have anybody offer me a sensible explanation for that.

And they are turning people against them. They disgust people and make far more enemies than they make friends. I'm living proof of that.

On the other hand, that might well be the best thing about it.

3 comments:

Rufus said...

It's theatre- nobody comes out to local plays any more, so they go and stage them where the cameras are. It serves no one but the participants. There, it's a form of therapy- play acting.

I don't know that it affects my opinion on things. I could imagine a situation where people would be protesting for something I like- say reading- by dressing up in weird costumes and acting like assholes. It wouldn't turn me against reading.

SecondComingOfBast said...

What irks me is the venue they chose. They do this stuff everywhere they go, they interrupt Senate and House committee hearings, where usually they get access through some politician. Then there are all the other protests they stage.

Which, that's fine. I'm all for the right to demonstrate and protest, but what's the point of doing stuff to piss people off that might ordinarily be on the fence?

Those newly sworn in citizens are presumably going to vote in the next election, and many of these people had children there with them, so there they were having to put up with these people shouting "fuck you, Bush" over and over again.

I wonder if a lot of them even knew what the point of the protest was. It wasn't a legitimate protest at all, it was a case of verbal assault, plain and simple.

It's like if I decided to go out and pick up some woman for casual sex so I just walk up to the first crowd of good looking women I see and start shouting, hey which one of you stupid fucking bitches is going to give me a piece of that skanky pussy? I think I'm probably going home alone, provided I make it away from there in one piece.

That's not an outrageous comparison either, when you consider some of these people's antics.

Lee said...

"I would dearly love to see them go over to Egypt and try this with Hosni Mubarek."

Pretty much.