Saturday, January 28, 2006

Special Announcement From A Temporary Temple

During the course of making some necessary adjustments and would be upgrades of this site, I inadverdantly made a discovery. Simply put, my time on my local ISP is limited to 200 hours a month. Would have been nice if I had known that beforehand, but I guess they skipped over that little incidental detail right about the time they was exaggerrating about all of their other great features. Forgive me if I feel unduly wronged, but I happen to be a person who believes in supporting the local businesses of the community in which I live at any given time. All I ask for in return is honesty, integrity, and commitment to quality service. And to be frank, up until now I have little to complain about in regards to my local ISP, Design And Service.

There was one little minor detail. Turns out that one of the main things that attracted me to the business, so many MBs of free web space, which came with free tech support, came also with a caveat. If you put anything on your own web-site that is offensive, they will remove it from their listings. It is unclear to me whether they will remove it, and you, permanently, but their wording sounded ominous, despite their encouragement that you should "show your creativity".

Also, they seem to have exaggerated the quality of the virus protection that came free with their service. After signing up, I was advised that it would be a good idea to purchase a years worth of extra protection from Norton Anti-Virus-just in case.

On top of that, the best free anti- virus program that comes with the ISP, a program known as Housecall, can't be used with my Firefox browser, which is something I refuse to do without. Incidentally, I heartily recommend Firefox to everbody, but that's by the way.

So what should I do? Well, I don't really know. I guess when my hours are renewed at the beginning of next month, I will go ahead and ride out the remainder of the time I've paid for, then cancel the service and get something else. I'm thinking Netscope, which my aunt seems to be happy with. However, I want something that has adequate virus protection, and is compatable with Firefox. So if anybody has any ideas, I am certainly all ears. Errr, all eyes, I mean.

In the meantime, until the first of February, at the very least, you will hear little or nothing from me. You see, I am posting this by way of public access. Yep, for the time being, my temporary temple is the local library. So I got to mind my p's and q's. You know how those librarians are. Sometimes I get frustrated and curse outloud. And when I see a woman stick a finger to her mouth, I get these ideas. So my time here is indeed limited.