Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Bode Miller-Hung Over Until The Olympics

Have I missed something in all this controversy about Bode Miller, and the oh so shocked crowd that seem to think he is obligated as an athlete to pander to their prohibitionist views? Just today, the firestorm was further inflamed by the report that Miller claimed to enoy skiing down the ski slopes with a buzz. Yet, when I first noticed the reports, and paid any attention to them, I got the impression that he had actually said that he felt pretty rough when, following a night of drinking, he tried to ski the very next day. Now, if this is what he said, it doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement, to me, of wild partying, especially the night before a scheduled sporting event. Thus, shouldn't he be commended for pointing this out?

But now, the story seems to have changed from the original version which I first heard, so I'm going to try and do a little detective work here. See, I've been in this predicament myself, though it's been a while back. But I do remember clearly the day when I had to get up and walk to work the morning after kicking back a few Buds. I felt awful, to be sure, but I dragged my sorry ass out of bed, took a quick shower, and walked the some twenty blocks, being without transportation at the time. This was a temproary janitorial job I was going to, and it entailed sweeping and mopping a gymnasium floor, if I correctly recall. One thing I remember all too clearly was that I felt like seven layers of hell wrapped into one, until about the first hour. But, lo and behold, once that first hour passed, I felt pretty damn good.

But not good enough that I cared to repeat the experience. I stopped drinking shortly afterward, and stayed dry for a long time. When I did finally get around to drinking again, it was seldom, it was moderate-and it was never on a work night, or prior to any important undertaking. You see, no matter how good something might feel initially, those paybacks just ain't worth it.

I'm sure Bode Miller found that out. Sking in a competition has got to be a little more demanding than sweeping and mopping a gymnasium, though the cold fresh air might, indeed, feel all the more exhilerating.