Friday, June 01, 2007

Flip This Body




I really like this blog, and maybe more importantly I admire this blogger and what she is trying to accomplish here. It really takes courage to put it all on the line like that. It is also very refreshing to see an overweight woman who doesn’t get defensive about her weight and insist that she should be “accepted the way she is”. Acceptance after all is not the point, it’s a matter of self-interest versus self-loathing, of personal accountability and self-discipline versus trying to pretend you don’t give a shit when you obviously do.

Her goal is to get her weight down in time for her wedding, and she is tracking her progress in that regard on her blog, in as public a manner that might be reminiscent of Valerie Bertinelli or, before her, the chick from Cheers (can't think of her name right now, sorry).

In the meantime her blog has evolved beyond that limited scope while not moving away from it. She touches on other matters on her blog, Flip This Body, which is a pleasurable read. It is indeed refreshing to find a blog that isn’t a nail-biting exercise in pure terror from one side or the other of the Chicken Little crowd. (“The sky has fallen to the earth”. “No, it’s not, it’s just fucking dirty”).

I wish her luck in her goal and hope she keeps blogging after she does, or even if she does not achieve it.

Oh, and by the way, Julie-

Those cicadas your fiance’ is so enthralled with? They are chock full of the protein you might need for a supplement from time to time. I hear they have a nut-like taste, and make quite the scrumptious pizza topping.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Hey thanks for the great review! I've been feeling that I've been neglecting my blog over the past few months, and I've been feeling kinda guilty about it. This makes me feel better about that ....I guess it's not so much the frequency of the blogging that matters, but the content. Thanks for the boost. :-)

SecondComingOfBast said...

Julie-You're welcome, and thanks for stopping by. I would have commented on your blog, and actually tried to, but I couldn't.

You might want to go into your settings, then go into your comments settings. You will see a question that will say "show comments in a pop-up window?". Just click no, and then click "save changes".

For some reason, the little pop-up window of your settings won't magnify, and that makes it impossible to comment. If you change it, your comments will open in a new whole page. It might get you more comments. Anyway, that's why I didn't address you directly-I couldn't.

Well, good luck to you. Talk to you later.