Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Schizophrenic Blogger

I’m seriously thinking of changing the name of this blog to “The Schizoid Blog”, because I am sure that’s what I probably come across as, and is probably why my readership has stayed pretty flat over the last few weeks.

The very uncomfortable fact that I’m confronted with is, out of the fifty five million plus blogs that are out there, most of them are exercises in one degree or another of self-indulgence, self-importance, self-righteousness, self-promotion, and/or self aggrandizement. While I may from time to time fall into another one or more of these categories, the worse thing about my blog is, the lack of consistency as pertaining to the issues of the day.

And that’s where this blog falls apart. Most people that read blogs are, after all, looking for something that merely offers a degree of affirmation as to their own cherished beliefs and prejudices. If somebody sticks with my blog long enough, they quickly discern that I am all over the map.

One day, I might be as far to the right as Michael Savage, the next day as far to the left as Michael Moore. Many days I will be somewhere in the middle. On any given day, I am likely to seemingly change my mind as easily as Laura Bush changes her wardrobe.

I like to think of myself as independent, but at the same time I am fairly sure that I will never win a Bloggy Award, or a Weblog Award, for all these reasons, and for others. For example, the blog name and description might be off putting to some.

Also, the fact that I will not put ads on my blog I am quite certain has more than a little to do with it. And I absolutely refuse to jump on the YouTube bandwagon.

All I have to offer is, hopefully, in addition to independence of thought, a little bit in the way of originality. That of course is a problem in it’s own right. At times, I spend more time trying to find something original to blog about than I do actually blogging about them when I find them.

It’s all quite depressing. Of course, it might just be a phase I’m going through. Like puberty, or male menopause. Or, come ot think about it, blogging.

10 comments:

Jim Jepps said...

I know its a commonly held belief but I don't think bloggers are filled with self importance just because they blog.

After all if you have a conversation with someone everytime you speak is not held to be an example of self indulgent egoism, or perhaps a better example would be if you write an email it's not seen as wrong in some way.

People *are* interesting... although it doesn't always come across on their blogs.

Some blogs are of course examples of self-importance, but, in my view, only the minority.

Frank Partisan said...

Schizoid is all together different than schizophrenic. One who is schizoid, is a loner. Schizophrenia involves things as affect, logical thought etc.

My computer died, so I don't comment as often as I like to. I'm writing from an internet cafe.

Please tell Sonia about my computer. For now all the computers I use have filters.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Renegade-I told her. Good luck, hope you get your computer problems straightened out. I know what a bitch that is.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Jim Jay-thanks for stopping by. I wasn't of course meaning all bloggers. But out of fifty five million, you know there has to be a lotof bullshit out there, and it makes it hard wading through to find the really good ones.

sou said...

:O you've gotta be kidding! how you identify something that's a good thing about your blog and think of it as a negative!

i love your blog precisely coz i never knwo what to expect.. and they are all interesting posts.. so why the doubt? er.. also.. it's just my perspective that one should never try and analyze the reader patterns.. it's a bit like illogical and random like life :)

SecondComingOfBast said...

Sou-thanks, appreciate that. I wasn't meaning to say that I think it's a negative, just that most people that read blogs, for example political blogs, pretty much want to read something that affirms their own poitn of view.

Whereas a person who reads blogs that is a Christian, is probably going to primarily read Christian oriented blogs. They might read a few others from time to time, including pagan ones, but mainly they are going to stick to their own comfort zone.

Don't worry, I'm not changing anything as far as that goes, nor do I intend to stop blogging.

neosnoia said...

I stumbled across your blog via "The Wild Hunt" and was immediately impressed by your candor. Don't change! I've added you to my blogroll.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Neosnoia-Wow, what big blue eyes you have. You have a nice blog yourself. Thanks for adding me to your blogroll, I've just returned the favor.

Very cool selection of pictures you've managed to find for your posts. I have a hard time finding good pictures myself. Thanks for stopping by.

Tom Accuosti said...

If somebody sticks with my blog long enough, they quickly discern that I am all over the map.

Which is one of the reasons that I come back here time and again.


Tom Accuosti
The Sacred Chao of Masonry

SecondComingOfBast said...

Thanks Tom, I appreciate that, and your support in general. I just get in bitchy whiney mode from time to time. But hell, when you can't think of anything to blog about, at least you can bitch and moan about blogging, huh? LOL