Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Great Man Helps A Great Cause

I've had my problems in the past with Bengals Wide Receiver Chad Ochocinco. He's a great receiver and all around player, but he comes across as full of himself. He seems to be one of these guys who is obviously out for himself, a master of self-promotion. He has appeared on Dancing With The Stars, is a showboat on and off the field, and not too long ago introduced his own line of condoms.



Although he was born Chad Johnson, he had his name legally changed to Chad Ochocinco, which is the Spanish language spelling of his team number-85. Lately, he has publicly mused about changing his name yet again, to reflect the number on his team jersey in Japanese.

These are the kinds of antics, in addition to his gregarious nature on the field, that lends many to view him as-well, a show-off. It leads you to wonder how he could possibly get along with such a person as Terrell Owens, who recently joined the Bengals. Talk about a clash of personalities.

But now I have come to think I might have misjudged the man. He has lately come out with his own brand of breakfast cereal, named, of course, Ochocinco's. My initial reaction was, "there he goes again". But come to find out, a portion of the proceeds from sales of the cereal will go to benefit the Feed The Children Foundation.

Now I have to admit, I am impressed. And, having taken the time to call the toll-free number of the foundation, I am also quite touched.

And believe it or not, if you take the time to call the number of this fine organization, I promise you that, unless you have a heart of stone and ice-water coursing through your veins, you will also be touched and impressed.

1-800-HELP-FTC

You will be under no obligation whatsoever. But I promise, you will be moved.