Thursday, June 04, 2009

Clarification

I guess I haven't made myself clear. Although I am not about to lose one fucking second of sleep over it, I do not condone the murder of late-term abortion provider Doctor George Tiller. Nor, for that matter, am I necessarily either Pro-Abort or Anti-Abort. The plain simple fact of the matter is, I don't care. The issue of abortion, in and of itself, will influence my vote for better or worse every bit as much as the gay marriage issue. Which is to say, it will not influence it one iota.

That being said, if anyone should wish to see George Tiller dead, by all rights it should be those on the left. After all, Tiller proved himself, by his life work, the manifestation of every warning ever uttered by the far-right about what would happen if late-term abortion was legalized under certain conditions. If a woman's health was the deciding factor, there would be any number of abortion providers who would game the system on the grounds that slight depression fit into the category of health concerns. Enter George Tiller, who was a poster child for the concerns of so-called "Pro-Life" activists.

I stand by what I said in my earlier post about Tiller, and I do not apologize for the Sick Joke post I followed it up with. Nevertheless, since I have been viciously attacked as a "bottom-feeding scum" by some self-serving supposed pagan who thinks my religion should be a repository and a sanctum sanctorum for every piece of leftist garbage strewn and shat about the world, I did think it acceptable to offer the following clarification-

As a tried-and-true believer in the Federalist philosophy of government in America, I do not believe that abortion polices, whether pro or con, are the legitimate realm of the federal government. Such laws are for each individual state to decide, however they will. It is no more the place of the US federal government to decide such matters and impose them on the states, than it is the place of the US Federal government to impose its policies on, say, South Africa, or on any other country. It is not their legitimate business.

The Federalist philosophy to which I have become a steadfast subscriber holds that any law not expressly granted the Federal government in the US Constitution is and should remain the purview of the individual states to decide as they will, as exercised by the voters or through their elected state representatives. The right to terminate a life-which some hold to be sacred-is addressed nowhere in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights, and it is a real stretch to claim that this is a matter of some nebulous, so-called right to privacy-which by the way is also questionable at best.

In other words, the Constitution is silent on the issue, just like it is silent on the "right" of gay marriage-and, by the way, like it is also silent on the matter of the right to marry, period.

In other words, if the state of Kentucky decides to outlaw abortion, and the state of Ohio decides to legalize it, this bottom-feeding scum is fine with both decisions. If you live in Ohio and it offends your sensitivities that much, move to Kentucky or some other red state. If you live in Kentucky and want to be able to abort your unborn child should the necessity arise, move to Ohio.

Inconvenient? Too fucking bad. Unfair? Who says life is fucking fair? If you don't like it, you have the option of the Amendment Process by which you can change the Constitution to accommodate you. Good luck with that one.

Now, as for how I personally feel about the matter of abortion-not that it is in the least bit fucking relevant-its actually pretty simple. Like I was discussing with someone earlier, there are all kinds of reasons, good or bad, a woman might decide to get an abortion. They run the gamut from "if I don't do this I might die" to "if I don't do this I might look like crap in a bathing suit."

Now, here's the part where the feeble-minded need to pay very close attention. I don't care what your reason is.

The way I look at it, the more trivial your reason for butchering your unborn baby inside your or your woman's womb, the more likely you are to be a leftist, and to vote for and support leftist causes. Or worse even than an honest to God sincere and open leftist, you might be a liberal Democrat. Should your child live, and you do not abort him or her, the chances are considerably better than not that he or she too will, over time, come to vote for and support leftist causes and policies.

As such, you do not need my permission, I am sure, but you damn sure have my blessing to abort him or her, and thus save the world at least that much further unnecessary grief.

Have at it.

2 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Hah!

You didn't read the post properly, did you?
Never mind, as it wasn't aimed at you - you were just used as an example.

I couldn't give a damn. You probably think a lot worse of me than I do of you - but I can't say that it matters even a little bit.

The point was, that we don't, and can't have a Pagan code of ethics - for we certainly don't have anything approaching concensus in these issues.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

SecondComingOfBast said...

Actually, I did read your post in its entirety. The bit about the bottom feeding scum was obviously aimed at me, seeing as how the applied link led straight to my blog.

Otherwise, I agree with your conclusions about a Pagan Code of Ethics. They would be unenforceable, for one thing. I've always warned (or used to some time ago) about the inclination of some to want to gather all of Pagandom under one umbrella organization or group-or united groups-with all that would imply.

I don't even particularly like the idea of paganism being an official religion as such. I prefer the concept of the secret societies and covens. Maybe its the romantic in me, or I might even have a traditionalist streak.

Mainly, I think pagans-as a group, mind you-should be free and independent of any political party affiliation. What some individuals might believe is fine so long as they don't try to insist that its some kind of official pagan stance to which all pagans should be required to adhere.

We should be above and beyond that kind of group think, mind-control, herd type mentality.

I don't expect anybody else to adhere to my own political beliefs, but I do point out that-in my opinion, mind you-pagans should strive for independence of mind and spirit, self-sufficiency, and the attainment of the highest possible levels in personal and spiritual growth.

This insistence by some on adherence to some kind of one-size-fits all group ethic is stifling, limiting, and self-defeating to the individual that subscribes to it in regards to self-development.

How can you be the best you can possibly be if you feel you aren't even allowed to think for yourself or entertain any kind of dissenting opinion that might go against the "prevailing wisdom" of the time.

Truly independent minded people will just drift off on their own eventually, and soon all you will have left are mindless drones who in reality have no desire to think for themselves. Such a thing would never enter their minds, you see. That is just the danger of appealing to extremist factions in a search for followers, which all too many leaders strive to gather around them. I'm not just talking about pagans here.

I might be a little more abrasive than necessary at times, but it does get frustrating trying to break through the fog that seems to envelope so many. Maybe I should just shut up and leave them alone and hope they see through the haze over time.

You can only bite your tongue so many times before it starts to wear thin.