Friday, January 16, 2009

Anybody For A Bonfire?

Know anybody that's planning on attending the Obama inauguration? Are you? If so, you should be ashamed of yourself. According to this article

The carbon footprint of Barack Obama's inauguration could exceed 575 million pounds of CO2. According to the Institute for Liberty, it would take the average U.S. household nearly 60,000 years of naughty ecological behavior to produce a carbon footprint equal to the largest self-congratulatory event in the history of humankind.

Maybe if they had already had the inauguration, my pipes wouldn't have frozen up overnight, necessitating a most appreciated speedy repair job by my local city water department. Thankfully, this was due to exposure of the main pipe outside to the sub-zero temperatures last night. They fixed and insulated them, and as an extra bonus, they repaired the outside cylinder on which the cover fits. It had previously been damaged when a neighbor parked his truck over it. Since this caused the lid not to fit adequately, the cold air pulled a number on the pipes last night. Thankfully, it was an outside, not an indoor pipe, which would have cost a pretty penny to repair.

According to environmentalists and their Congressional supporters like Henry Waxman, problems of this nature, and other things, are all due to "Global Climate Change" (because Global Warming just sounds so damn hilarious these days).

Thus, according to the article, Waxman is determined to rush through legislation as quickly as possible to deal with these issues, apparently before even more people catch on to just how nonsensical it all is, despite those of us who have already figured it out, and while there is a ton of money to be made off what is these days looking more and more to be a scam of-well, of global proportions.

Is it any wonder the chap seems to be in a bit of a hurry?

The day Waxman delivered his statement, the National Weather Service issued a warning for Chicago about wind chill somewhere in the vicinity of 25 to 40 below zero. In Maine, citizens expected something around 40 below zero. And Iowans were warned that temperatures could drop as far as 27 below. In many places across the nation, there was record-setting cold.
So, in other words, Waxman expects these unfortunate glacial souls to pay higher energy prices to shield themselves from Arctic chills in the name of global warming?
That's quite a trick.
Still, politically, the time is right for progressives to pass any legislation they please. But Democrats may also be setting themselves up for failure. This kind of central planning, after all, has a winning record envied only by the Detroit Lions.


Now that is just unfair and mean-spirited. The Lions have a pretty decent record overall, especially their Thanksgiving Day record.

I guess I can come clean now and drop the coyness, and give thanks unto the Mighty Quinn for his speedy response to my earlier invocation at Yule. Just don't scare me like that anymore, buddy.

5 comments:

Frank Partisan said...

The essense of the anti-climate change ideologues, is a conspiracy theory mentality. Since scientists don't back your view, it is a conspiracy involving liberals who want "central planning."

Cold weather is different than climate.

I seperate myself from anti-progress enviromentalists and the deniers.

SecondComingOfBast said...

I am actually closer to your position on this issue, Ren, than I am either the Left or the Far Right, but it's the Left who has the power now to really be an unnecessarily disruptive force. They really need to be reined in.

I'm going to get around to addressing this issue in a more serious way. As you know, I am all for developing alternative energy sources, but this is more due to a desire for energy independence than it is about unfounded fears of man-made climate change.

As far as I'm concerned, even if there is some validity to the theory, the Left's proposals are a perfect example of the cure being worse than the original disease.

na said...

Jimmi Hendrix wrote some very inspiring lyrics and much of his material was never published. In a video about Jimmi’s life, his brother Leon calls Jimmi a “Prophet.” After reading Jimmi’s lyrics, I would have to agree with Leon.

One of the friends in my youth loved Jimmi and dreamed of being a guitarist like Jimmi. When the movie “Woodstock” first came out in 1970, a documentary about the music festival which occurred in 1969, my friend asked me to go see it with him at the theater. As we were on our way to the theater getting high and listening to the radio, the DJ announced that Jimmi Hendrix had died that very day. Watching Jimmi on the big screen that night was extra special in a macabre sort of way.

Here is one of the prophetic songs Jimmi wrote called “Up from the Sky” that refers to climate change:

I just want to talk to you
I won't uh, do you no harm
I just want to know about your different lives
On this is here people farm
I heard some of you got your families
Living in cages tall and cold
And some just stay there and dust away
Past the age of old.
Is this true?
Please let me talk to you.

I just wanna know about
The rooms behind your minds
Uh do I see a vacuum there?
Or am I going blind?
Or is it just uh, remains of vibrations
And echoes long ago?
Uh things like "Love the world" and uh
Uh "Let your fancy flow"
Is this true?
Please let me talk to you
Let me talk to you.

I have lived here before
The days of ice
And of course this is why
I'm so concerned
And I come back to find
The stars misplaced
And the smell of a world
That is burned
A smell of a world
That is burned.

Yeah well, maybe, hmm...
Maybe it's just a... change of climate
Hmm, hmm...
Well I can dig it
I can dig it baby
I just want to see.

So where do I purchase my ticket?
I'd just like to have a ringside seat
I want to know about the new Mother Earth
I want to hear and see everything
I want to hear and see everything
I want to hear and see everything
Yeah...

Aww, shucks
If my daddy could see me now
Everything, everything, everything, oh everything.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Blue Skull-

Change of climate was a pretty common saying, almost like change of scenery, at one time. It was only recently that it was applied in the current modern way.

This was probably a song about the differences in people's lives, where you have those living in their "ivory towers" while so much of th world is engulfed in the flames of war, and all thechaos and suffering that brings. Remember, this was written during the Vietnam era.

Also, I'd like to point out that fears regarding climate change do at least go back to the nineteen seventies, but originally the conception was that the danger was not global warming, but global cooling.

Rufus said...

My father always says that they told him when he was in school that there would be warming, the ice caps would melt, and we'd all be under water... by the late 1980s. That was back in the 50s, so, the concept is nothing new. I remember the global cooling stuff too. Actaully, I think the term 'global weirding' is probably best to describe what's been going on with our weather for the last few years, at least up here.