Sunday, August 02, 2009

Hermes

I'm feeling drawn to the God Hermes for some reason, and its pretty easy to see why. He's the messenger of the gods, the bringer of dreams, and a god of commerce, messengers, travelers, and thieves, just to name a few of his attributes. I should add I suppose that he is a patron of athletes, and especially of wrestlers and any sport that involves racing (thus the motorcycle video that appears in a later/earlier post).

More importantly, the natal chart I drew up for an individual "born" at the exact moment of the last Winter Solstice practically screams Hermes, particularly as the Ascendant seems to reside in the sign of Sagittarius, Hermes sign. This puts the God's "birth" sign in Capricorn in the 2nd House of money, wealth, and possessions, one of the God's strong suits. Of no small importance is the placement of Neptune in Aquarius in the 3rd House of Communications, which fits with Hermes tendency to speak in symbolic riddles. And there are other indications as well.

A series of dreams I had, one in particular of which involved an entity I have come to know as the Mother of Bones, speaks strongly of his influence. No, I will not relate the dream. Some things are better kept private.

Strangely, I generally perceive of Hermes as an old man, not as a young athletic man as generally pictured. I have had numerous dreams of him throughout the years and he most generally assumes this aspect when he appears. Who knows, perhaps it is a sign that I will lead a long and prosperous life. Well, no time like the present.

Hermes's importance in Graeco-Roman religion is somewhat underestimated, but not so in the frozen north, where he has been identified with Odin. As such, he would be of more than passing importance to the Asatru, even if they choose not to identify Odin and Hermes as one and the same. Frankly, I am sympathetic to such reluctance on their part, though for different reasons. As a trickster god, I tend to identify Hermes with Loki, while Odin I see as a Norse personification of Hades.

This is one of the areas in which me and Reconstructionists in general part company. Many and probably most of them do not view the gods as manifesting in other forms in other cultures, preferring to see the various deities of other religions as separate deities of importance only within the confines of their ancient cultures, assuming they exist at all. I however see the wisdom of these identifications in general, though I concede that in some cases they are overworked and forced to an extent in the case of those ancient Greeks and Romans who automatically looked for the presence of their deities amongst the gods and goddesses of foreign lands.

Hermes has also had a strong and long-standing identification with the Egyptian God Thoth, and in fact this is probably the better known of all of his, shall we say, aliases. And in fact, if any of the deities were to take on another identity, Hermes would be just the guy who would relish such an activity.

There are a number of sites where those interested in him can learn more about him. I would recommend first and foremost this site. There are a couple of others, blogs in fact, both of them LiveJournal sites. Sannion is a devotee of the ancient Egyptian and Greek religions, while Gavin is a devotee of Hermes in long-standing.